“The quality of your amplified violin sound is only as good as the weakest component in your chain…”
Duncan Monserud, marketing director for Electric Violin Shop, joins Christian to discuss challenges, choices, and solutions for string players seeking to go electric. Scroll down to listen, join the conversation in the comments, and find a time-coded table of contents to help you zero in on specific topics.
Electric Violin Shop will always answer any questions you have. Give them a call at (866) 900-8400. We appreciate their support of the Creative Strings Podcast!
Visit www.electricviolinshop.com/creativestrings and use promo code CHOWES to get 5% off your next order!
This podcast is brought to you by the Electric Violin Shop, the Greater Columbus Arts Council and city of Columbus.
“Your acoustic tone is a great thing and we don’t want you to abandon that just to go electric. There are different tools for different purposes…”
“Your technique is still the most important part of how you sound…”
Table of Contents:
- Common misconceptions about electric bowed string instruments (04:00)
- Different means of amplifying violin, viola, cello, and the pros/cons of each (08:53)
- Microphones vs. pickups and the different types of both (10:05 – 31:33)
- Solid-body electric bowed string instruments (31:34 – 38:48)
- Amps, preamps and PA systems (39:48 – 51:35)
- Effects pedals and multi-effects (51:35 – 55:29)
- The many uses of looping and loop pedals for violin, viola, and cello (55:57 – 1:00:16)
Post your feedback, comments, questions and more in the comments section below!
Feel free to share this and subscribe at www.christianhowes.com/itunes or www.christianhowes.com/stitcher
“Looping is about the coolest thing you can done with the violin…”
Clips in the episode
- Something’s Gotta Give (feat. Christian Howes) from the album “Just Wanna Say” by Hamilton Hardin
- Conejiltrami from the album “Song for My Daughter” by Christian Howes
- Chris’ Rocking Violin Solo (Live performance at the Music For All Summer Symposium)
- Bobby’s Bad from the Album “Out of the Blue” by Christian Howes
- Felonious Thunk and Ode to Billy Joe from the album “LIVE Christian Howes plays the Yamaha Silent Electric Violin”
- Sniffer’s Dream from the album “Song for My Daughter” by Christian Howes